Friday, May 18, 2012

Linotype and aioli...

Today I had lunch with a gentleman who is involved in a worthy charity called Calcutta Rescue.  They do excellent work in India....please check them out if you're looking for somewhere to send your donation dollars.  The money is directly put to very good use for health care and education of the people who most need it on the streets of Calcutta.

Coincidentally, Glen grew up in Grand Junction and went to high school in the school building where Josie went to 4th and 5th grade!!  "It's a small world after all...."

At lunch I tried a traditional provencal dish...aioli.  We all think of aioli as just being garlic mayonnaise, right?  well, it is the mayonnaise (with garlic and saffron), but it's also the name of the whole dish...traditionally salt cod served with some shell fish, vegetables, hard boiled egg and the aioli sauce.  The version I had was fresh cod (delicious!), a snail, green beans, carrots, turnips and some other veggies.  And, a snail.  I tried it!

Suffice to say, I am still not a mayonnaise lover nor a snail lover.  The cod and vegetables were excellent!

Because of the forecast for rain, my art class was moved to the library, where we were challenged to draw an old linotype machine... A daunting task...not for the faint of heart!
What sort of crazy engineer designed a machine like this!?  

My wondrous art mentor Catherine...you can check out her work at http://quatrinaime.blogspot.fr/ and info about her classes at http://quatrinaime.free.fr/.





Here's the latest...I'll post more after I paint it.  You can tell why I never became a mechanical engineer!